Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance

Many homeowners mistakenly believe they do not require flood insurance. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners states that only 5% to 15% of homeowners have it. However, the most recent data from FEMA show that flooding affects 99% of the US counties.

Many homeowners mistakenly believe that flood damage is already covered by their homeowner’s insurance, which makes the situation worse. Contrarily, homeowner’s insurance rarely pays for flood damage.

To put this into perspective, the most recent data from FEMA show that the average payout on a flood claim from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is $52,000.

What Is Flood Insurance and How Does It Operate?

Your home and possessions are covered by a flood insurance policy in case of damage from flooding. It is distinct from a homeowners insurance policy, which frequently excludes flood damage from issues like hurricanes and torrential rain.

Although you might be able to purchase a policy in the private market, the National Flood Insurance Program is where most homeowners who purchase flood insurance do so.

It can help with issues like:

  1. surging storms.
  2. floods that occur inland as a result of rivers and streams overflowing during a storm.
  3. sudden floods.

You cannot file a claim for damage that occurred during the 30-day waiting period if you purchase it through the NFIP because the coverage does not begin until that time. There may be no waiting period or a short one with some private flood insurance providers. There is no waiting period, for instance, with Zurich Residential Flood Insurance.

You can file a claim with your provider and receive coverage up to the limit of your policy if a flood damages or completely destroys your home and possessions. For instance, if your NFIP policy included $250,000 in building coverage, you would be protected up to that sum. In order to supplement their NFIP base policies with additional coverage, some homeowners choose to buy private flood insurance as a “excess” policy.

The National Flood Insurance Program

Homeowners in participating communities and those residing in floodplains designated by the NFIP are able to purchase this insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which is run by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The NFIP or FEMA do not actually issue the insurance policies; instead, private insurance companies do.

The areas in the United States that are most likely to experience flooding are designated as flood zones on maps that are updated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). As new and more severe weather patterns develop, FEMA updates the zones to reflect these changes. For grading purposes, the zones are divided into subsections. The risk of flooding is moderate to low for properties in zones B, C, and X. A low risk area has an annual flooding probability of less than 1%.

Properties that are situated in zones with an A designation are regarded as high risk. Further breakdowns include descriptions of potential floodwater heights and projected occurrence rates over the course of a 30-year mortgage. The properties assigned a V designation are comparable to those in zone A. They are located in high-risk areas and are located along the coast.

There may be some homeowners in Zone D, which means that a decision has not yet been made for the neighborhood. For the purpose of adjusting for changing weather patterns as well as man-made environmental changes like levees and dams, flood zone maps are continuously updated.

By visiting Floodsmart.gov and cross-referencing a property address with the flood map service center, you can determine your flood zone.

What Does It Cover?

Dwelling (your home) and contents (your possessions) are the two main categories into which it is typically divided. Depending on where you purchase your  insurance from, you might have the option to buy a building-only policy, a contents-only policy, or both.

Dwelling Coverage

The cost of repairing or rebuilding your home after damage from flooding is covered by dwelling coverage, also known as building coverage. For instance, the dwelling coverage in a flood insurance policy would pay to repair or replace it if flood water damaged your plumbing and electrical systems. 

The maximum amount of coverage for homes under the NFIP’s  program is $250,000. In the private market, you might be able to purchase more comprehensive home insurance. For instance, Neptune Flood Insurance offers up to $4 million in dwelling coverage, while Flood Guard sells policies with up to $5 million in dwelling coverage.

Contents Coverage

The contents coverage within a flood insurance policy would pay to repair or replace the items if flood waters destroyed your living room furniture, for example. Contents coverage, also known as personal property coverage, covers your personal belongings, such as furniture, clothing, and appliances.

What Doesn’t It Cover?

Every kind of water damage is not covered by this policy. An NFIP flood policy typically excludes the following from coverage:

  1. Damage brought on by burst pipes (this kind of damage is covered by home insurance).
  2. Decks, patios, swimming pools, septic systems, and landscaping are examples of personal property outside of your building.
  3. Mildew and mold are avoidable.
  4. Expenses for additional housing, such as a hotel stay if your home is unlivable..
  5. Damaged vehicles (your auto insurance policy’s comprehensive section covers flood-related vehicle damage). 

When Is It Required?

Federal law does not require flood insurance, but depending on the location of the property, a mortgage provider might.


It will depend on a variety of factors, chiefly whether your property is in a region with a high risk of flooding, whether you should purchase flood insurance. Though they can happen anywhere, floods can. Storms, melting snow, clogged drainage systems, and far-flung residences are just a few of the factors that can cause homes to flood. Remember that in addition to your homeowners insurance, you will need to purchase a separate policy if you do want to safeguard yourself against the costs of flood damage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *